Obviously this is an ideal world and everyone has a very steep, very short hill just outside their house! Of course I realise that this isn’t the case; if you do happen to have a hill nearby then great, if not then skip the hill sprints. Do the below on top of your steady state cardio section of your work out.
1) Hill sprints – Yes, I know, the horror word. It doesn’t have to be far, it doesn’t have to be as fast as Bolt, just pick 50 metres and sprint as fast as YOU can. Times 5.
2) Quick touch – Can be using anything but say a step: just alternating feet tap one toe on the step and then the other, as fast as you can. Carry on for a minute x 3 sets.
3) Mountain climber – Get into press up position, then alternating feet, bring one knee to your chest with the other leg straight. Switch legs, keeping an eye on your form so that you don’t wind up with the back leg bent and the front leg not very high. This is HARD! Rpt x 30 x 3 sets.
4) Bench jumps – If you don’t have a bench you can do this on the floor, just try and get your legs, bum and feet as high off the floor as you can. Get each hand gripping either side of the bench at one end and both feet on the floor (on one side) at the other end. Jump both feet nice and neatly over the bench and land just as neatly on the other side. Easy! Now repeat x 30 x 3 sets as fast as you can. Oh. Not so easy….!
5) Burpees – Need I say more? Press up position, bring both knees to your chest, jump up high in the air and land, take both legs out straight into press up posotion again. Repeat x 15 x 3. Ouch.
6) Skip – You can pretend to have a rope but it’s not quite so effective! Both feet together please ladies and gentlemen and as fast as you can. Try for a minute x 3 sets.
Remember: THESE SHOULD KILL YOU! If they are easy you are obviously doing it too slowly!